As promised, a whole post on the Hunger Games songs and soundtrack. I swear, the songs are phenomenal. When I heard some of the songs before the movie premier, I was like oh my god, it’s brilliant- when are they going to play it in the movie? I hope it’s in the cave, or when they’re eating the berries…etc, so excited! But the horrible thing is, they played it during the credits. Brilliant. You put the song in the credits. Don’t you know that no one stays for the credits?! Ugh.
Anyway, I tried to rank the songs, but it was really difficult, and I really couldn’t decide. So please forgive me if I ranked a good song badly, it doesn’t mean anything except I forgot how good the song sounded. Feel free to comment if you think a song should be ranked higher/lower :) Also, I don’t like rap, so if you do like rap, I’m sorry.
1. Safe And Sound by Taylor Swift. It’s by Taylor Swift. What more do I need to say?
I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said, I’ll never let you go
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said, Don’t leave me here alone
But all that’s dead and gone and passed tonight
Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You’ll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I’ll be safe and sound
Don’t you dare look out your window darling
Everything’s on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby
Even when the music’s gone
2. Tomorrow Will Be Kinder by The Secret Sisters. Another sad, haunting song with beautiful lyrics.
Today I’ve cried a many tear
And pain is in my heart
Around me lies a somber scene
I don’t know where to start.
But I feel warmth on my skin
The stars have all alligned.
The wind has blown, but now I know
That tomorrow will be kinder.
Sorrow weighs my shoulders down,
And trouble haunts my mind
But I know the present will not last
And tomorrow will be kinder.
3. Girl On Fire by Arshad. This song has a good mix of slow, soulful moments and fast paced, catchy beats, and good lyrics throughout.
Just one kiss and I will be hooked to her fire
Her flames are surrounding me now
As we watch as they light up the sky
We must stand up and fight
And start an uprising
4. One Engine by the Decemberists. I’ve never heard of the band before (sorry), but after this, I think I might check out some of their other songs. The tune and tempo of this song, unlike most of the other songs, is fast and catchy, and it brings a pretty refreshing mix to the sound track.
5.Love And Hate by Santiago Laserna and Beba Cespedes. Lovely duet.
6. Run Daddy Run by Miranda Lambert. It starts of pretty weird, but the later parts of the song are just brilliant. The song captures Katniss’ regret, sorrow, and grief at her father’s death poignantly and tenderly.
7. Come Away To The Water by Maroon 5. I love this band, and I love this song. They ought to do this type of song more often. Not to say Moves Like Jagger isn’t good- it’s just this song has lyrics that actually means something.
8. Eyes Open by Taylor Swift. It’s by Taylor Swift. What else do I need to say?
9. Abraham’s Daughter by Arcade Fire. The beat is sinister and powerful, and the background music (at least to me) sounds nice and catchy. The singer’s voice is not bad, either. The lyrics is good, too.
10. Kingdom Come by The Civil Wars. This band just has the right feel- sorrowful, haunting, beautiful. The way the guy’s voice blends with the girl’s voice is lovely.
11. Nothing To Remember by Neko Case.
12. Dark Days by Punch Brothers.
13. Rules by Jayme Dee.
14. Lover is Childlike by Low Anthem.
15. Just A Game by Birdy
16. Daughter’s Lament by The Carolina Chocolate Drops.
17. Take The Heartland by Glen Hansard.
18. The Ruler And The Killer By Kid Cudi.